Trackmen Take Second Places

An eight-man Harvard contingent took two second places and a sixth at the Relays in Philadelphia yesterday.

Two Crimson field men lost the Relays Championships they won last year. John threw the discuss 174 ft., 3 in., almost five feet better than the throw that for him last year. But Bob of Manhattan got off a 175 ft., 1/2 in. for the title.

Art Croasdale, who won the hammer last year with a 179 ft. throw, took only sixth place this year with a 178 ft., 5 in. performance. Northeastern's Bill Corsetti won with 198 ft., 91/2 in., an excellent early-season performance.

Harvard's Tony Lynch, a favorite in the 400-meter hurdles, led the field over the last jump, but lost the dash down the homestretch and the title to dark horse Johnson of Colgate. Johnson's time 51.4; Lynch nipped Heptagonal rival Portland Gray of Navy for second place 52.0.

Harvard's relay team of Keith Chiappa, Ogden, John Parker, and Joe Sam Robinson, took a disappointing fifth in Heptagonal mile relay, though Robinson, a sophomore, turned in an excellent anchor leg over the sloppy track. Bill Pfeiffer threw the discuss 157 feet fourth place in the "college division."