Crimson Crews Win 5 of 6 Races As heavies Score 2 1/2 Length Win

The fans at Lake Quintillion were aerophthaimic Saturday afternoon.

Not only did the varsity heavyweights meet Cornell by two and a half lengths, but Harvard crews won five out of six races and captured seven of the eight trophies awarded in the 20th annual sprint championships of the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges. Altogether, it was a great day in Worcester.

The Crimson heavies' victory over the Big Red, in 6:10.4, was the greatest margin in the history of the sprints. And it was attained without much trouble at all. After starting at 42, the crew settled down to a 22-34 stroke and was beyond reach early is the race. Cornell frantically stroked up to 33 during the race, but could not close the gap, finishing in 6:10.1.

Winds is midstream made Harvard's hope of breaking the 2000-meter course record of 5:54.4, unreasonable, but in the boat's trial heat in the morning it was close. In that race the varsity was clocked at 6:04.2, but then all the qualifying races were fast.

Harry Parker's undefeated boat proved Saturday that it is worthy of all those adjectives, and Henley looks like a sure thing for this unbelievable crew.

The only loss of the day came when favored Cornell defeated the varsity lights by a length in 6:21.2. That race was close for a while, but with about 600 meters left, the Ithacans pulled out despite a faster Harvard stroke. But this was no surprise, since Cornell's varsity lights had not been defeated in twelve races over two years.

Terrific JV

Both JV crews looked terrific on Saturday afternoon. Although the heavy-weights beat Navy by only three-quarters of a length, their 6:19.4 was the second-best time of all boats in the final races. M.I.T., which was seeded second in the race, finished sixth, after placing second or third in every lightweight race.

In the JV lightweight finals, the slowest race of the afternoon, the Crimson beat Cornell in 6:27,6 by a little less than a length after losing a larger lead. The Big Rd had been in front for only the first 500 meters, though they were favored in this race, too.

The most exciting finish of the day came in the freshman heavyweight final; twenty strokes from the line Cornell went ahead and looked like a sure winner. Just as the Harvard crowd was moaning about losing the race, the Cornell boat stopped, as their number six man caught a crab. The Crimson slid to a 6:22.9 victory, much to the surprise of the crowd and the crew.

Harvard's freshman lights battled with Cornell all the way, but in the last 200 meters increased their stroke to 40 and won in 6:25.2 as M.I.T. took second in a photo finish.