HPC Says A.P. Sophs Lack Qualified Advisors

The Harvard Policy Committee issued its first formal recommendations yesterday and suggested that the College appoint a staff of specially-qualified advisors to assist the Director of Advanced Standing.

In a report prepared by the Subcommittee on Advanced Standing, the HPC charged that freshmen eligible for sophomore standing now "have far too few qualified people to consult before making the important decision to become sophomores."

The report asserted that freshmen advisors too often have had limited experience with advanced standing students and are ill-equipped to assist freshmen in mapping out programs of study. Even after the student accepts sophomore standing, he "has no one officially assigned to advise him about the unique problems of taking upper level courses with freshman exam-taking study techniques."

The HPC suggested that the Director Advanced Standing determine the for members of his special , the report recommended that advisors be drawn from the Bureau of Study Counsel, teaching fellows, seniors in the College, and the recent staff of Freshmen advisors. smiliarity with different fields of and experience in dealing students' study problems were as criteria for choosing the ad.

The HPC could find no other major with the Advanced Standing program and noted that slightly fewer than of the advanced standing students the classes of 1958-61 graduated magna cum laude. Academic perform prove that few freshmen accept standing for the "wrong i.e. for prestige or to avoid Education Ahf, lower level Gen requirements, and the physical requirement.

report said most advanced students take more course work out their field of concentration than is but recommended that the of required Gen Ed courses be raised a four to five to "ensure diversity."