Colt Appointed to Lead Fund Drive Next Year

Henry F. Colt Jr. '46 has been appointed Executive Director of the Harvard College Fund and will replace James A. Rousmaniere '40, who will enter New York politics.

Colt will come here in late June to work with Rousmaniere for a month before taking over the former director's duties on Aug. 1. He is presently General Manager of Marketing for the Airco Distributor Products Division. Colt began his career as a storeroom clerk with that firm in 1947 and progressed through sales and management positions.

The Fund accepts "unlimited gifts" from alumni, parents, and people interested in the College. Although the fund is completely separate from Harvard's endowments, it provides almost 10 per cent of the College's annual budget.

In recent years, the money raised has been used to support freshmen seminars, the General Education program, undergraduate activities in the creative arts, intramural athletics, and financial aid for students.

No New Proposals

Citing Rousmaniere's record-breaking collection of $4 million in a three-year period, Colt said he was not sufficiently acquainted with the Fund's details to offer any new proposals. Presently, he plans to continue the program along "present lines."

Rousmaniere has served as Executive Director of the Fund since 1962. Under his direction the Fund has doubled the number of dollars given to the University and the number of volunteer workers has tripled.

Rousmaniers resigned his post as Director of the Fund to run as Democratic candidate for the Town Council of Oyster Bay, N.Y. in the November elections.