Crimson Nine Battles 'Northeastern

Probably only the weatherman stands between Harvard's baseball team and a commanding lead in the Greater Boston League race.

The Crimson nine, whose game at Brandeis was rained out yesterday, will play at Northeastern at 2 p.m. today. The Huskies have suffered only one loss in the GBL--a 15-5 humiliation at the hands of usually weak-hitting Brandeis. Harvard's league mark is 3-1, and a win this afternoon could just about sew it up.

John Scott or Jim McCandlish will pitch for the Crimson, and either one probably will be able to contain the Huskies.

In statistics released today covering the Crimson's first 19 games of the season, Dan Hootstein ranks as the squad's leading hitter with a .354 average. First baseman Joe O'Donnell is the only other player with a mark above .300; he bats at .204. Shortstop Tom Bilodeau has knocked in 16 runs for the leadership in that department.

McCandlish is the only Crimson pitcher with an imposing array of statistics. In 50 innings, he has given up only 24 hits and seven earned runs, for an ERA of 1.25. His record for the year is 4-1.