Gives Holy Cross First Loss

By Lee H. Simowitz

one weekend could make a season, this would have been the weekend Harvard baseball team. On Saturday they ambushed Holy Cross 4-2, an undefeated season for one best teams in the East, if not the . On Friday, the Crimson Brandeis 17-0 to slide back into a place tie in the Greater Boston .

Cross was, without doubt, the team Harvard faced all year. The had won 14 straight games season, and were fresh from a 6-2 over American International the before. They brought along their band of supporters, who lolled sun at Splinter Stadium and vociferously for their heroes. of the Holy Cross players had signed pro contracts, without play out the season.

Harvard wasted no time in against Crusader starter Bud leading off the bottom of the first, Houston walked. On a hit-and- Tom Bilodeau singled off his fists center field and Houston went to third, scoring soon after on John Dockery's sacrifice fly.

In the bottom of the second, the Crusaders began to act as if they had a collective case of nikephobia. George Neville led off for Harvard with a walk, and Joe O'Donnell tried to move him to second with a sacrifice bunt. Knittel pounced on the ball and fired it to first. The second baseman, covering on the play, dropped the throw and O'Donnell was safe.

Crimson pitcher Jim McCandlish, thinking he had detected the beginning of a fad, ventured another bunt. He was right. The catcher hit him in the back with the ball and the bases were loaded. Houston then grounded sharply to the left side of the infield. The Holy Cross shortstop made a diving catch but had no play as Neville crossed the plate.

After Bilodeau struck out, the Crusader third baseman booted Dockery's grounder and O'Donnell scored. Only after Dan Hootstein popped up and Skip Falcone fanned was Knittel able to weave his way back to the dugout. Two runs, one hit, three errors.

But Holy Cross quickly came back with two runs in the top of the third.

Harvard scored once more in the fifth when Hootstein singled and went to second on Falcone's bunt as the Holy Cross catcher, trying to get the lead runner, threw the ball into center field. Gary Miller sacrificed the runners to second and third, and Hootstein came home on Neville's ground ball.

Then all McCandlish had to do was hold on. He gave up two singles in both the seventh and eighth innings, but escaped both times. The Crusaders' Bill Sexton and Jim Gravel led off the ninth with identical singles into left, but as a mob of three Harvard pitchers began to warm up, Kevin Foster popped up a bunt attempt to McCandlish. Pinch hitter Earl Kirmser then grounded an instant double play ball to third: add Houston and stir. And the game was over.

The Brandeis game was a parody, Against the Justices' Fred Marden, ostensibly one of the best pitchers in the Boston area, Harvard scored five runs in the second and four more in the fourth on Tom Bilodeau's grand slam home run.

Marden meanwhile walked nine batters in seven innings while his teammates committed an incredible total of 12 errors behind him. John Scott went all the way for the Crimson, pitching a four-hitter and striking out ten