Teen-Aged Gang Beats Policeman As Scores Watch

It looks as if WBZ's Dick Summer did not get his message across. One of his last crusades before he switched from nighttime to daytime broadcasting was NAG (Nightlighters Against Gutlessness), a campaign against public apathy. But Wednesday evening, as scores of citizens watched, a Cambridge policeman was attacked near Central Square by a gang of teenagers.

'None of Your Business'

Patrolman John Daley had been dispatched to break up a gang of 12 boys and two girls on the corner of Pearl and Erie Streets. When they refused to disperse, Daley asked the name of one of the boys. He was told that it was "none of your business." The 32-year-old patrolman put his hand on the boy's shoulder, and then was jumped by a number of the others. Three held his arms behind him and one began methodically punching the officer in the face and body.

Peered Out of Windows

Even though Daley called out for help, none of the passersby stopped to aid him; some stood and watched while others peered out from nearby apartment windows. In despair, Daley asked for someone to call the station. No one moved.

Finally, Cambridge resident John Mello happened by and jumped in to help Daley. He succeeded in freeing the policeman, and the two fought off the gang until someone called police headquarters.