Composers Here Question Pulitzer Jury's Decision

By Beth Edelmann

Composers in the Music Department yesterday termed "unfortunate" the Pulitzer Prize jury's decision to withhold the prize in music for the second consecutive year.

Billy Jim Layton, assistant professor of Music, considered the decision a reflection on the jury itself, not on the state of contemporary American music. He said that the jury has been conservative in past awards and has ignored the "most interesting music." "It is quite wrong to ignore any kind of music--conservative, avant-garde, or electronic," he added.

Layton noted that the prize in music "hasn't always been for the most distinguished work," and that the jury's record has been "erratic." He "would certainly hesitate to say that there hadn't been a single work worthy of the prize."

James D. Yannatos, lecturer on Music, sympathized with the committee's conservatism. He noted that avant-grade music is difficult to comprehend and evaluate. Yannatos added that although there are many competent composers, "one doesn't give a prize for competence. The creative leap has to be taken."

Randall Thompson '20, Walter Bigelow Rosen Professor of Music, disagreed with the opinion that the jury is conservative. "I think they're very broad-minded and liberal, and certainly without prejudice."

Thompson also supported the Pulitzer advisory board for rejecting the music jury's recommendation that a special citation be given to Duke Ellington. Although Ellington is an accomplished musician, Thompson said, "the prize was not created for music in that sphere."

Leon Kirchner, professor of Music, noted that there are a number of composers whose "achievement in music is equal to that of awardees in other fields."