Time' Examines Ivy League Rejects; Glimp Calls Assertions Uninformed

"SHOW THIS MAN THE SCRAPBOOK, MOTHER . . ."

By Maxine S. Paisner

I've been shafted by society," said the young man (who father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather had all gone to Harvard) he learned that Harvard had shot down.

The reveals an article in the current of Time which probes the perplexing problem of Ivy League rejections. Fred Glimp '50 yesterday expressed concern of the article's uninformed statements at admission committees' reasons for applicants.

Some relates the story of one Texas who "could have taken normal and knocked off all A's," but the instead to test his ability in classes advanced students. As a result, the states, "he wound up with a B-plus age, which led Harvard to reject "

Didn't Talk to Glimp

Glimp charged that such assertions are completely unsubstantiated. "They never to anyone in this Admissions he said. Stressing the multiplicity factors involved in making admissions decisions, he sharply criticized the attempt to attribute rejections specific causes.

such case involved a Denver student who underwent a metamorphosis junior high and high school. According to Time, he "suddenly blossomed a straight-A introverted bookworm articulate leader:" editor of the paper, president of the city's "Youth Kennedy" organization, and class vale-. "But," the article continues, slipped just a shade. As a Harvard passed him over."

Admissions Committee doesn't turn people down simply because their grades 'slip just a shade,'" Glimp said. He emphasized that grades are only one of several considerations which the committee evaluates.

The article makes up for what it lacks in accuracy with colorful quotations from rejected applicants and their parents. "Show this man the scrapbook. Mother," the Denver student's father exclaimed to a Time reporter. "Let him see what kind of a kid it is that Harvard turned down."

Didn't Talk to Glimp

Didn't Talk to Glimp

Didn't Talk to Glimp