'Cliffe Fire Provides Harmless Distraction

A fire in the boiler room provided a few moments of exam period diversion for residents of Moors Hall Monday morning.

Three fire engines, including a book-and-ladder truck, roared into the quad, but all they found was a lot of smoke and what fireman George Carvahlo called "delayed ignition in the oil burner."

The fire had apparently been burning for quite a while, but it went unnoticed because the Cliffles thought that the smoke was the usual incinerator ash.

Although the Moors Hall fire captain was not present and the girls didn't have coats, towels, or hard-soled shoes, no damage was done, and no lives were lost.