Sophomores Stand Out, But Runners Bow, 27-28

By Phillip Ardery

Dick Howe, an advanced placement sophomore, lost the frantic sprint for tenth place, and Providence stole a 27-28 victory from the Harvard runners in Saturday's season opener in Franklin Park.

Captain Dave Allen almost smiled afterwards. "We figured all along Providence would be the toughest team we'd face. Those sophomores, they really came through, didn't they?"

Sophomores Stand Out

Four sophomores were among the first six Harvard finishers. Walt Hewlett, sadly out of shape, puffed home in second place, and Allen came in fifth.

"It was my fault," Allen said. "We'd planned to take second and third. But I'm not too unhappy."

From the big hill in the middle of the unimaginative, only sloping course, it looked like an all-Friar show-for the first four miles. Barry Brown, second to Hewlett last year, took the lead from the gun and never looked back.

Hewlett Out of Shape

Walt, trying to ignore his heaving chest and remember last year, when he won them all during the regular season, Brown's heels for the first three miles, then started looking over his shoulder. The final margin was 22 seconds.

Riordan, the man that Allen had edged for third place on coach Bill McCurdy's blackboard, apparently hadn't heard the pre-meet plan.

He toyed with Allen and Crimson sophomore Bob Stempson until the last 300 yards, and finished strong, closing fast on Hewlett. Stempson outstepped Allen for third place.

Paul Harris and Bob Powers took fifth and sixth for the Friars. Tow-headed, grinning Joe Ryan and tall, dark, and oh-so-formful Jim Baker, an unlikely tandem, kept the Crimson in the ball game by sweeping eight, and nine.

The meet was decided when Providence's Bob Donnelly swept past tiring Dick Howe with 200 yards to go.

Some Idle Optimism

Idle optimism, of course, doesn't change the score, but let's be idly optimistic. These sophomores are bound to improve. And a guy like Dick Howe, who has just snatched a whiff of Harvard's winning spirit, must be (in the words of the Old Poet) an "unknown quantity."

Walt is out of shape because he didn't run over the summer and hurt his back early in training camp. He's working hard now, though, and doesn't figure to lose many more.