Pennsylvania to Meet Grapplers; Crimson Waits for Cornell Loss

By Lee H. Simowitz

Waiting for lighting to strike takes patience. But that's what Harvard will have to have if it hopes to see the Ivy League wrestling title dropped into its hands. The Crimson missed its chance last week of beating favorite Cornell on its own; now all Harvard can do is try to win the rest of its league contests and pray that someone else knocks off the Big Red.

The trouble is that no one else seems capable of ambushing Cornell. Princeton is vastly improved, but Columbia, the second-place finisher last year, has fallen flat on its face, Just the same, beginning with its match against Penn tomorrow, Harvard has to wrestle as though somewhere, somehow, somebody is going to beat Cornell.

Penn should not prove inordinately difficult for the Crimson. Through graduation, the Quakers have lost Richie Sofman and Bruce Jacobsohn, their two best wrestlers last season on the team that Harvard beat 17-12. In their only match this year, Penn squeaked past week Lafayette 16-14.

Reshufflled Lineup

Harvard has a reshuffled lineup for the Penn match. Mike Morris replaces Bing Sung, who must take an aptitude test the day of the match, at 130 pounds. At 167, Dave Worcester has successfully displaced Chris Wickens. Either Wickens or Jeff Grant will wrestle 177, and the other will move to 191. Bill Malugen, who started at 191 in the first three matches, has paid dearly for his inexperience in each of them, and the change will probably strengthen Harvard in the upper weight classes.