Crimson Six Challenges Hard-Hitting B.U. Squad

By Joel R. Kramer

There will be some changes made in the Harvard hockey team tonight, as the skaters invade Boston University ice to meet the best squad in the East. The face-off is at 8:30 p.m.

Boston, undefeated in ECAC play, has lost twice to Michigan Tech and once to St. Francis Xavier of Nova Scotia. The only six likely to challenge their Eastern supremacy is Clarkson, but Harvard captain Bob Clark says B.U. "is ripe for as upset."

B.U. does a lot of forechecking, so Coach Cooney Weiland is making a few adjustments is personnel to meet them at their own game. Tag Demment, who likes to hit, will replace Kevin Burke is the defensive alignment. Ben Smith, who has been playing on defense, will be switched back to forward replacing Jack Garrity.

Fred Bassie, with 16 goals and ten assists, and Captain Dennis O'Connell team up with center Bruce Fennie on B.U.'s powerful first line. Jack Ferreira will mind the nets. An All-American last year, he looks even better this season, with a 2.2. goals-against average.

Strong Defense

Defense is the Boston stronghold, even with the loss of their star Tom Ross, who broke his jaw in a game over the holidays. Brian Gilmore and Pete McLaughlin will try to keep Ross's injury from being a big factor. These two defensemen have helped B.U. to the astounding record of 76 goals scored and only 28 goals allowed.

Jim Quinn centers the second B.U. line, for Mike Sobeski and Jim Wood. Quinn has the unusual distinction of having scored three times this year with his team shorthanded. He could add to that mark against a Harvard power play which has often looked weak this season.

The B.U. offensive plan is to fire the puck in and chase it, trying to force mistakes out of their opponents. They like to hit hard.

Harvard will be trying to rebound from a spotty holiday performance in two tournaments. After a sparkling showing in a losing cause against Toronto. Harvard was dumped by Yale 3-2 in the Nichols Tournament. The Crimson dominated the game, but could not find the not often enough to make their pressure count.