Green JV Wins, 37-7, Scores Big In Last Quarter

By James K. Glassman

Grinding out yardage on the ground most of the way, the Dartmouth junior varsity football team piled up 20 points in the final quarter to rout Harvard yesterday, 37-7.

The Crimson defense just fell apart in the fourth period and couldn't stop the up-the-middle and off-tackle running of Green backs Bob Bennett and Terry Light.

When he had to. Dartmouth's second string quarterback Bill Kinschner would fire timely passes to Bennett and his ends. Although Harvard's pass protection was much better than its running defense, Kinschner was able to throw for the last two touchdowns

The Greenmen scored twice in the first half--on a 2-yard dive by Bennett in the first quarter, and on a beautiful 75-yard gallop with a screen pass from halfback Bill Donovan.

Harvard's offense was shamefully sloppy in the beginning of the game. Crimson backs weren't following their blocks, linemen were jumping offside, and quarterback George Lalich wasn't getting enough time to drop back, much less to pass. Worst of all, it took the boys 27 minutes to get into Dartmouth territory.

But when they finally made it to Greenland, they weren't about to be stopped. The lone scoring drive began after a flubbed Dartmouth punt went out-of-bounds on Harvard's 37.

Then Lalich got to work. He tossed a pass to Carl Goodwin, who made a diving catch for a first down at the Green 49. The sophomore quarterback then threw to Tony Smith at the 25. On the next set of downs, after being thrown for a 10-yard loss, Lalich flipped a 32-yard pass into the end zone with 2:35 to play in the half. Tom Wynne kicked the conversion.

That was the moment of glory. And it was much too short. From then on, the game was Dartmouth's.