Yardlings Lose on Extra Point, 14-13

By Joel R. Kramer

The Harvard freshmen lost to Dartmouth yesterday in the most heartbreaking way you can lose a football game -- on a missed extra point. The Green triumph, 14-13, extended their unbeaten season to 3-0.

Jim Reynolds didn't only miss the deadlocking point once, but twice. With the score 14-13 in the third quarter, Reynolds kicked wide to the right, but the little Indians were offside. The referee spotted the ball on the one-and-a-half, but Coach Henry Lamar decided not to try for a two-point conversion. He stuck with Reynolds, who placed the second boot about where he had put the first.

Harvard's secondary kept the game close with three interceptions, two by an exciting defensive back named Greg Kundrat who always seemed to be in the right spot. The third was by Jim Higgins, only it was more of a steal than an interception. On what looked like a touchdown pass, Higgins simply separated the receiver from the ball on the way down.

Dartmouth scored first, late in the first quarter. With third and seven from the Crimson 19, Kundrat broke up a pass play from Bill Koenig came back on the fourth down and hit the Dartmouth workhorse, Tom Miller, for the score.

Dave Smith came in to replace John Ballantyne at quarterback for Harvard, and he marched the squad effortlessly to the tying touchdown. The big play was a phenomenal jump pass to Kevin Crowley, which the big end somehow caught between three defenders at the eight. Smith passed to Fritz Eriksen for the TD, under pressure of a monstrous rush. Reynolds converted.

Dartmouth marched 80 yards for their final tally, with Miller running, catching passes, stomping would-be tacklers, and occasionally stopping for a breath of air. Koenig passed 11 yards to John Wimsalt for the score, and it was 14-7 Dartmouth at the half.

Harvard's most consistent play of the day was a nifty delayed pitchout to Ray Hornblower. The quarterback would start to run, then pitch out at the last second. Hornblower's speed made the play go. It worked perfectly in the third quarter for a 40-yard touchdown, but a six-point touchdown is not quite the same as a seven-point one, and that's the whole story.