Ivy Football Contenders Should All Win Handily

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

The rich get richer, and the poor, poorer. That's the way the Ivy League should shape up this afternoon, as Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, and Cornell meet their lesser lights.

Yale is hardly one of the League's dregs but today the Eli must face a Dartmouth team which is seething after last Saturday's 19-14 loss to Harvard. More importantly, Dartmouth is just too fast, even for the strong Yale defensive unit.

Dartmouth, 24-10

Yale has two of the best defensive tackles in the League in Bob Greenlie and Glenn Greenberg. But if Harvard's Dave Davis couldn't keep up with Dartmouth's Mickey Beard and Gene Ryzewicz last Saturday, then it is doubtful that the Elis will do much better.

Yale is the bigger, more powerful team, though in speed Dartmouth has the edge almost everywhere. Fullback Don Burrows and halfback Calvin Hill (out last week with an injury) give Yale a pair of powerful runners, and Pete Doherty will still be handling the signal-calling for the injured Brian Dowling.

Actually, Doherty has been such a successful passer this year that Dowling may not regain his position, if he ever heals. Against Cornell last Saturday, Doherty completed 24 of 41 passes for 304 yards, breaking five Yale and two Ivy records. He will be throwing today to end Bob Kenney, who undoubtedly will be covered by Dartmouth's outstanding safetyman, Wynn Mabry.

Yale, which has become increasingly dependent upon its passing attack, will have to overcome a defensive secondary superior to any it has faced this year. It won't, and Dartmouth should win by about 24-10.

Cornell, 27-17

The closest League game today may be the Columbia-Cornell contest. Though 0-5, Columbia showed such improvement last week that Rutgers needed the last seconds to win, 37-34. The big thing going for Columbia is its sophomore quarterback, Marty Domres. After an impressive showing against Yale, he opened up against Rutgers by throwing two touchdowns and running for two more.

Cornell, meanwhile, will employ its regular juggernaut of Pete Larson, Bill Abel, Ron Gervase, and Ed Zak. They are too powerful for Columbia, but not by too much, say, 27-17.

Princeton, 34-6

Princeton, by no means out of the League race, should beef up its record against Brown today. The Bruins have four valuable starters, including quarterback Jack McMahon, returning to action. It would take a dozen more valuable starters, however, to put Brown on Princeton's level.

The Tiger defense has been solid all season, but not until last Saturday, against Penn, did its offense jell. With fullback Dave Martin and tailbacks Bob Weber and Dick Bracken all healthy at once for the first time, Princeton rushed for 265 yards and four touchdowns.

Princeton should romp with ease, in the vicinity of 34-6.

Harvard, 35-13

On the home front, Penn will present a flimsy defense and a flashy, though sometimes erratic, offense. If halfback Cabot Knowlton anud quarterback Bill Creeden are healthy, then Harvard may relinquish a touchdown or two. The Crimson linebackers, if no one else, should have a busy day covering Creeden's deliveries over the middle.

Fortunately, Sports Illustrated did not jinx Harvard with a cover story this week, and so the Crimson can breathe easy and coast, 35-13.

OVERALL RECORD: 12 right 2 wrong LAST WEEK: 4-1