Leverett Buries Eliot House 20-0

Leverett established itself as the team to beat in the House football department yesterday as it knocked down a previously unbeaten Eliot squad, 20-0. The key win gave the Bunnies five straight victories and a comfortable lead in league standings.

Powerful end sweeps with solid blocking and the running of halfback Jim Thompson got the yardage and the points for Leverett. Careful ball handling allowed them to dominate much of the game. And when the offense wasn't busy, a blitzing defensive line continually harried Eliot quarterback Bunk Read.

Thompson scored all three of Leverett's touchdowns. He and quarterback Steve Ekdehl combined to bring the ball some 70 yards in a sustained drive for the first TD in the opening quarter. A pass interference penalty at the Eliot 5-yard line set them up for the second. And in an evenly divided pass-run attack, Leverett marched 45 yards for its final score of the game.

Eliot's offense never seemed quite sure of itself as it failed three times to score from inside the Leverett 15-yard line. The Elephants turned to the air in the final minutes of the game, but were stopped by the clock 5 yards from the goal.

In the other House games yesterday; Winthrop defeated Quincy, 22 to 0; Adams and Kirkland battled to a 0-0 tie; and Dunster blanked Dudley, 38 to 0.