Crimson Booters Drop Lions, 3-1, For 1st Ivy Win

By Robert P. Marshall jr., (Special to the CRIMSON)

New York, Oct. 7--The Harvard soccer team got the break it needed to be a winner when Lutz Hoeppner's deflected shot squirmed into the corner of the Columbia goal at 5:22 of the first period here this afternoon.

Scott Robertson added a tally near the end of the first quarter. Then, after Columbia had been awarded a penalty kick, the sophomore left wing scored again with two minutes to play to give the Crimson a 3-1 win over the Lions.

Hoeppner's morale-boosting goal started with a corner kick by Robertson. Andy Kydes and Jim Saltonstall both took swipes at the loose ball in the penalty area before Hoeppner got his shot, a shot which hit a Lion defender and rebounded barely over the goal line in the left-hand corner.

The way Columbia was playing, this should have been enough, but a lot of pressure was removed when sophomore Jaime Vargus passed from the middle to the left wing position and the unguarded Robertson uncorked a right-footed bullet into the far side of the goal.

Lions Press

The Crimson players seemed to let up with a two-goal lead, and Columbia pressed fo rmost of the second and third quarters, though the Harvard defense handled the Lions well near the goal.

Harvard regained the offensive in the fourth quarter, with a trio of reserves--Bill Schaeffer, Peter Millock, and Peter Ames--consistently taking the play away from the Lions.

But at 17:37 of the final 22-minute period, Columbia's Mossik Hacobian converted a penalty kick awarded when a Lion shot nicked the hand of a helpless Crimson fullback.

Columbia was back in the game, but only for two minutes. Robertson, who had been called for off-side most of the afternoon, gnally escaped the whistle and was alone on the goalie with a long pass from Kydes. Robertson drew out the goalie with a nice dribble before crashing home his second goal of the day and fourth of the season.

A gritty job by Joe Gould and solid work by fullback Warren Bowes aided the usual fine performances of Richie Hammond, Tony Marks, and Kydes to bring the long-kicking Crimson its biggest victory of the year.

Harvard, after disappointing losses to Amherst and Williams, is thus tied with Brown, at least temporarily, for the Ivy League leadership