Harvard to Meet Columbia in Ivy Opener

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Okay, everything has proceeded as planned.

Harvard's young football team, with a remodeled offense and a questionable defense, has had its two weeks of learning and adjusting against less-than-brutish outsiders.

Now is the time for Ivy competition, and the Crimson may have chosen a more fiercesome League opener than expected.

It's hard to say. Two weeks ago, Columbia appeared to be about Lafayette's caliber, as it bobbled the ball up and down the field in a 38-0 shellacking by Colgate. One week ago, Columbia needed about another two seconds in order to set up the field goal which might have changed a 14-12 loss to Princeton into a 15-14 triumph.

Columbia Scary

The score is close enough to scare Harvard into thinking twice about this Columbia team, but the statistics are downright frightening. Princeton, the team that most sports writers picked to finish second in the Ivy League this year, was outgained in total offense by Columbia, 409 yards to 128.

Either Princeton is not quite the team it was assumed to be (which is probably true), or Columbia is a great deal more than the Ivy cellar-dweller of 1965 (which is most definitely true). "They are bigger, stronger, and deeper than they've been in several years," says Harvard coach John Yovicsin.

In the last several years, by the way, the teams played to a 3-3 tie (1963), Harvard won a 3-0 decision (1964), and Harvard finally broke the touchdown drought against Colmbia last year, 21-6.

"Columbia always defenses us well," Yovicsin says. "We haven't been able to sustain our offense against them in any one of the last three meetings."

Worrisome Offense

But more worrisome than sustaining Harvard's offense is the containing of Columbia's offense.

When a team gains over 400 yards against Princeton -- no matter how many new faces have been shuffled into Princeton's line -- then it is time to worry a little about defense.

Fortunately, Harvard will have both of its starting defensive tackles, Dave Davis (233) and Skip Sviokla (230), back in action today after sitting out the Tufts game.

Defensive line coach Jim Lentz is cautiously pleased with the defense's progress--ends and all--and does not plan any new formations to stop Lion quarterback Rick Ballentine, a dangerous passer and runner who enjoys rolling out to the right on the option play.

Last week against Princeton he tossed touchdown passes of 72 and 80 yards to fleet halfback Jim O'Connor. Ballentine's replacement, sophomore Martin Domres, is a fair passer also.

Crimson safetymen John Tyson and Tom Williamson, both very sharp in the first two games, will feel a little more pressure when Ballentine starts to open up than when Jumbo quarterback Ed Sevetz took to the air.

After Lafayette's scoring drive in the opening game, Harvard cornerback Bill Cobb tightened up more quickly, but neither he nor fellow cornerback Buzz Baker have faced the challenge of a balanced offensive attack this year.

Lions Use I

The Lions, using an I-formaiton behind fullback Arne Jensen (215), were running successfully up the middle against Princeton and even Colgate (seven fumbles definitely hurt matters against Colgate). At one point against Colgate, Jensen carried the ball seven consecutive times up the middle for consistent five-yard gains--until he finally fumbled.

Defensively, Columbia will employ an "Oklahoma 50" formation (similar to Harvard's stunting defense) rather than the perennial Lion eight-man front. The defensive secondary and linebacker positions constitute Columbia's stronger areas, with senior linebacker Don Rink (215) a standout.

There will be no changes in Harvard's starting defensive or offensive units, except for the return of Davis and Sviokia. On the offensive line, left guard John Peterson is back from his injury, but he has yet to push replacement Bob Flanagan out of the starting berth.

Yovicsin has been generally pleased with the offensive play (75 points, 876 total yards in two games: what more?) and cites the two tackles, Steve Diamond and Bob Brooks, as two principal reasons that the line has been providing running room.

Harvard's backfield remains intact with no injuries. Ric Zimmerman will call the signals, fullback Tom Choquette will provide the blocking and muscle yardage, and that leaves Bobby Leo and Vic Gatto at the halfbacks.

"I've never had a better pair of halfbacks," Yovicsin says.

The bookies are making Harvard 11-point favorites to win its Ivy opener, even after Columbia's showing against Princeton last week. Harvard holds a slight edge, but those kinds of odds are extreme.

Mabye the bookies have a lot of faith in Princeton and Tufts football.