RGA Proposes Use of Field House As Late Night Lounge for Radcliffe

The Radcliffe Government Association has reopened consideration of instituting a lounge in the Radcliffe Field House from midnight to 2 a.m. to give Cliffies someplace to go with their dates after the dorms close.

A petition requesting the creation of a late night lounge, circulated in Holmes Hall has received the support of the dorm committee. Half the girls in the dorm have signed the petition so far.

For the past two years, the Feld House, located near Holmes Hall, has been used for offices of the housekeeping staff at Radcliffe. Previously, it was under the jurisdiction of Mary G. Paget, Coordinator of Recreational Activities at Radcliffe, to whom it has just been returned.

It will now be used primarily to store athletic equipment, and as a place to hold group activities. However, Miss Paget is willing to accept its use as a lounge if RGA will accept the responsibility of supervising it.

Two years ago it was kept open from 9 a.m. until 12:45 a.m. on the suggestion of Miss Paget. The door was left open for anyone who wanted to use it, and the night watchman made frequent rounds. That lounge was eventually closed both because the administration felt that the privilege was being misused, and because the Feld House was transferred to the housekeeping staff which needed the space.

Susanne J. Wilson '67, president of RGA, said yesterday that Giles Constable, Head of North House, has responded enthusiastically to the idea of a lounge, but feels that there is need for a plan of supervision.

This question of supervision is now the only major stumbling block to the actual institution of the lounge. Possible plans include having the night watchman or the University Police patrol the building, instituting a system by which Radcliffe girls can watch it themselves, or issuing keys to all those interested.