House Football Teams Sweep 8 of 9 Games

Harvard House football teams outplayed Yale 104 to 38 yesterday to sweep eight of their nine games -- four by shutouts.

Leverett House regained the Harkness Trophy from Ezra Stiles College, 10-6, in a battle of defenses.

Yale's champions fumbled the opening kick-off on their own 40. Leverett's All-House halfback Ron Kram carried to the 5, where Jim Thompson crashed over to score. Thompson picked up two more points on a pitchout around right end, making it 8-0 with only minutes gone.

That was all the Bunny defense needed. Not scored upon all season, they stopped Stiles cold to preserve their perfect record.

92 Yard Interception

The only Stiles touchdown came in the second quarter, when captain Hank Spires picked off a Leverett pass and raced 92 yards down the right sideline for a touchdown. A two-point pass attempt failed.

Runner-up Eliot, led by All-House halfback Tom Mecham, slipped past Jonathan Edwards College, 8-6.

The Yalies completed the game under protest after their quarterback, John Nelson, was stopped on a rollout inches short of a two-point conversion by Eliot's Jeff Hall.

The Red Terror

Mecham scored all the Elephants' points on the first two plays of the second quarter. He took a Bunk Reed pitchout around a bewildered Edwards defense for a 20-yard touchdown. This trick worked again on the next play for the decisive two-point conversion.

Harvard's only loss was by Dudley House, 12-6, and even the last-place commuters put on a real show. Scoring their first offensive touchdown of the season, they almost took Morse College in the final quarter.

Morse scored in the first and third periods on passes from quarterback Phil Rogers and fullback Fred Southwick to end Cal Duffaute. Dudley's Billy Wicker led a fourth quarter march to the Morse two, where Tim Boynton quarterback-sneaked it in to score. Boynton's long pass in the closing seconds was just beyond the reach of end Phil Reed as he raced into the end zone.

Silliman College was shut out by Adams House, 17-0. The Gold Coasters scored in the early minutes after blocking Yale's first punt. Fullback Jim Mann drove in from the two. In the second quarter, Adams All-House quarterback Keith Hutchinson hit Jan Halverson with a 20-yard touchdown pass.

Law Sneaks

Dunster and Trumble were scoreless for three and a half periods before quarterback Bill Law sneaked in to win it, 6-0. This climaxed a 60-yard drive led by halfback Dave Greuel. Trumbull never got inside the Dunster 30-yard line.

Pierson College was trampled, 18-0, beneath the sustained offense of Lowell House. Controlling the ball for most of the game, Lowell marched slowly to three touchdowns. Halfback Tony Hicks scored twice, and Sandy Putnam connected with a corner pass to Paul Bragstad for the third.

Scoring two quick touchdowns in the first quarter, Kirkland hung on to blank Calhoun College, 13-0. Rick Scraff scampered around left end for the first score. Minutes later, linebacker Jim Faulkner intercepted a Yale pass, and Greg Studen dove in for touchdown number two.

Winthrop House came from behind to nip Daveaport, 8-6. After a scoreless first half, Yale blocked a Winthrop punt and ran it for a touchdown. Fullback Larry Hunter hit off tackle to tie it for the Crimson. Faking the same play, quarterback Dave Schraver threw to end Bill Reardon for the decisive two-point conversion.

Quincy quarterback Larry Melfa threw touchdown passes in the last three quarters to humiliate Branford, 18-8. In the second and third periods, Melfa hit Jim Kilkowski, and Pete Carre took the third touchdown toss in the closing minutes.