Seniors Spark Crimson Football Team To Winning Season that Few Expected

"I'll always remember this year's seniors," Coach John Yoviscin said recently, "as the class that wouldn't quit."

"Many experts predicted this would be Harvard's first losing season in eight years. The team rose to the occasion because everyone was willing to push themselves to the limit. Everyone was willing to pay the price of plain hard work."

"Take Bobby Leo, for example, He came to us as a highly publicized schoolboy athlete sought by every college. We had every reason to expect he'd be spoiled.

"Instead, with hard work, he has developed into one of the best backs in the country. He is also one of the humblest.

"Steve Diamond is a similar example. He'd been publicized in Florida just as much as Leo had been in Massachusets. Any college in the country would welcome him, but he considers a Harvard education more important. The mark he leaves will never be forgotten -- he's the finest lineman Harvard has ever had.

"Tom Choquette, on the other hand, had to work his way up to greatness. He was not very successful his first two years because we kept shuffling him around the backfield. Finally I told him, 'You're our fullback -- that's where you belong.' He's been the team's unsung hero ever since.

"Choquette's a great blocker, and at Harvard that's what a fullback must do best. His humor adds relaxing moments to our practices, something I encourage.

Established Stars

"Dave Davis came to us from Exeter as an established star and has developed into an even better tackle here. I've never coached a defensive lineman who gave better pursuit, or made more of an effort to get the ball.

"Justin Hughes was good as a freshman, and started out first game last year, in which he was injured and out for five games. Hughes, the captain, is not a holler guy. He leads by example, by his personal dedication to hard work and self-improvement.

"Buzz Baker came to see me in the spring of his freshman year and asked to play. It took a year of work on the JV for him to prove himself. It the last two seasons, he has been our most consistently good player.

"Skip Sviokla and Bob Norton were ends in high school. Neither was good enough at that position to be of any use to us.

"Sviokla said flatly that he didn't care where he played. After undergoing a crash weight-training program, he became a real first class tackle. Norton agreed to play cornerback, and he has been our swing man in that position.

"Though neither big nor fast, Vic Petzy also had the determination to stay with football. After two years on the JV's, he finally became our starting defensive end, and has done a fine job despite injuries.

'Punter Jim Gahan left college for a couple of years, and we were really worried until we knew he was coming back. He's a consistent kicked, and filled some mighty big shoes for us.

"Matt Donelan and Bob Flanagan co-captained the Gonzaga High team in Washington, D.C. Both were forced to serve apprenticeships at new positions on the JV.

"Donelan was too slow at cornerback, but found the right position at linebacker. Flanagan, originally an end, has blossomed at guard.

No Complaints

"When Joe O'Donnell agreed to move from guard to center, he left a position at which he had lettered as a junior. He never once complained, and is having his finest year at Harvard.

"Maury Dullea has outstanding natural kicking ability, but he also wanted to play a position. After much hard work, he won the right end position. After much hard work, he won the right end position against Brown.

"Jim Babcock is another example of determination. After three years, his chance finally came against Columbia, and now he does all our kicking.

"John Peterson was once our first-string tackle. He moved to guard to help us out, and was injured. His job was lost to Flanagan, but he works just as hard now as he did as a starter.

"John Shevlin faced many disappointments, but you wouldn't know it watching him work out. He made up his mind to be a college quarterback and he is one. Just look at the show he put on against Holy Cross last year.

"Mike Krinsky also came to us as a quarterback, but didn't show much. He now fills a valuable role as place-kick holder, since we don't have to take our other quarterbacks away from practicing plays.

"Sam Robinson has only started one game at halfback, but he has tremendous speed. His Southern flavor adds a certain spirit to the team."

Put this collection together, and you've got the core of the 1966 Harvard football team -- a team that will foil the experts this afternoon by tying for the Ivy League championship.BOB FLANAGAN apprenticed on the JV.