Upperclassmen Must Take Initiative In Getting Together With Freshmen

But F. Skiddy von Stade Jr. '38, Dean of Freshmen, has made it clear that he isn't going to assume responsibility for the program either. "The seniors suggested this program," he said, and "we'd like to see what they do with it." Von Stade said he felt the informality of the program was one of its prime virtues and he's afraid of destroying this with a burst of organizational energy from his office.

But as it stands now the program is dying from a lack of organization. Fifteen associates have been assigned to each of the five sections of the Yard, and two or three to each entry within their section of the Yary. Freshmen received a list at the beginning of the year of all the associates in their part of the Yard, with the understanding that they could go to any of them for help, not just those assigned to their particular entry. Each associate introduced himself at a common room meeting of the freshmen in his entry.

But beyond these rudiments of organization, the program has relied almost entirely on the improvisation of the associates, and has been shaped by each individual's idea of his function.

Most of the upperclassmen see their function as a passive one. After introducing themselves to a group of 20 freshmen, they have left it, by and large, up to the freshmen to take the initiative in getting together.

Austin sees this as the program's central problem right now. "Freshmen feel it would be presumptious to call up upperclassmen they hardly know. They won't do it," he said.

Resent Meddling

On the other hand, many senior associates are afraid to take a strong initiative because freshmen might resent them as meddlers.

One potentially workable approach has been found by a senior in Lowell House whose success is one of the few bright spots in the associates program. He has set up a weekly Wednesday night dinner in his House to which all freshmen in his entry have a standing invitation.

Eight or ten freshmen have attended each of the three dinners so far. This senior associate was the only one of about ten polled who reported having a significant number of freshmen contact him for advice.