McCarthy Ties Public Morals To Corruption

By Gerald M. Rosberg

Sen. Eugene J. McCarthy (D-Minn.) last night blamed the level of morality prevailing in this country -- particularly in business and the legal profession -- for widespread corruption in American government.

In almost every case of corruption there is a businessman who is willing to profit or a lawyer who is willing to become involved, McCarthy told an audience of 260 in Memorial Church.

In the second of his three William Belden Noble Lectures on "Religion and Politics," McCarthy said that corruption cannot be reduced until the moral level of the entire society is raised, and until we "accept the idea that there is a special obligation attached to holding a public office."

McCarthy discussed two methods of dealing with the problem of corruption -- raising the pay of public servants so they are less susceptible to bribes, and establishing a set of rules to guide conduct -- but he was not optimistic about the effectiveness of either of these approaches.

McCarthy said that the need for campaign funds may force some politicians to make commitments which are not in the public interest. He praised the measure passed in the last session of Congress which allows the taxpayer to earmark $1 of his income tax for presidential election campaigns. "This may relieve some of the pressure of campaign financing," McCarthy said.

In addition to the question of corruption in government. McCarthy also discussed the compromises which politicians can legitimately make. He raised the example of civil rights, where a politician's principles may conflict with the views of his constituents.

There have been men of good will from the South who voted against civil rights bills, McCarthy said, and they should not be condemned for that alone.

A Southerner who believes discrimination is wrong can take a strong stand and become a martyr, but he must consider the consequences of his defeat, and the possibility that his successor might be an extreme segregationist, McCarthy added.