Swimmers Down Navy By Sweeping 4 Events

Buoyed by impressive sweeps in the butterfly, the diving, the 100-yard freestyle and the 200 yard breaststroke, Harvard's swim team scuttled Navy 57-38 at the IAB Saturday afternoon.

Neville Hayes paced the fly sweep with his third straight win in the event, but it was Marty Chalfie's surprise second place, shutting out two Middie stars, that sparked the squad.

Hayes' and Chalfie's performances followed two spectacular diving rounds by Bill Murphy and Pete Alter who pulled off an unexpected one-two finish.

After the fly sweep Bill Shrout and Pete Adams took first and second in the hundred yard freestyle and pushed the Crimson into a huge lead.

Bob Corris and Buz Cummins clinched the meet in the next-to-last event by recording the team's fourth sweep -- the two hundred yard breaststroke.

Harvard started the meet auspiciously. The medley relay team of John Bragg, Corris, Chalfie and Shrout swam to within an impressive 5 seconds of the school record.

Backstroker

Bragg, who was backstroking for the first time this year, was a pleasant surprise for Coach Bill Brooks, especially since he also copped the 200 yard event. Harvard has long lacked a competent backstroker, but Bragg may well fill that void.

In the 500 yard freestyle, Dick Smith continued his rapid progress by edging out two Navy swimmers for the win.

The Harvard freshmen were trounced by Williston Academy 75-20 in the preliminary meet.