Grapplers Crush Tigers, 22 to 11, Losing 1 Match

Sparked by Ed Franquemont's pin, the Harvard wrestling team erased a brief Princeton lead and went on to crush the Tigers 22 to 11 Saturday at Princeton.

The Crimson was trailing 8 to 5 when Franquemont, wrestling 152, pinned Jim Bedell at 7:34 to give Harvard a 10-3 lead. And that was that as four of the last five Crimson wrestlers won handily.

At 160, Paul Padlak of Harvard downed Sam Mitchell 5 to 2 and Dave Worcester followed with a 3-0 decision over the Tigers' Bryant Crouse at 167. Jeff Grant made it 19 to 8 for Harvard by beating Don Joye 5 to 2 at 177.

Princeton sophomore Julian McPhillips shut out Bill Malugen 6 to 0 at 191, but heavyweight Tack Chace completed the job for Harvard and extended his personal unbeaten record by mauling Lee Keenan 7 to 0.

Howie Henjyoji, at 123 for Harvard, began the meet by defeating Paul Detweiler 4 to 1. Geoff Lipsey of Princeton downed Bing Sung 6 to 4 art 130, and the two teams' captains. Tom Gilmore of Harvard and the Tiger' Brian Baker, drew 2 to 2 at 137.

Paul Arnow gave Princeton its short-lived lead by edging Howie Durfee 2 to 1 at 145, but then Harvard began the rush that carried to its fifth win against three losses. Princeton is now 7-5.