Swimmers Should Clobber Soft Brown Team Tonight

By John A. Herfort

The Harvard swimming team will travel to Providence to meet perennial pusher Brown tonight at 8 p.m. The Bruins have not beaten the Crimson in years and were lambasted earlier this season by Yale and Princeton. Brown is in a different class, devoting a substantial portion of its schedule to aquatic jousts with weaker teams like Amherst and M.I.T.

Coach Bill Brooks isn't overly worried about the outcome of tonight's contest, but is "particularly concerned" about saturday's meet with Cornell at Ithaca. The Big Red lost to Army, but by a smaller margin than did the Crimson.

Brooks feels that his swimmers haven't yet recovered from the exam break, but hopes that "they'll be in peak condition by Saturday." Accordingly, the entire team participated in a stringent workout just after the end of last Saturday's 71-23 trouncing of Penn's hapless Quakers.

Lineup Changes

Local swimming aficionados were surprised last weekend by several lineup changes instituted by Brooks. Bob Corris, formally a starter in the 200-yard breaststroke, led off the 400-yard freestyle relay, failing through his leg in a fast 50.4 seconds. However, Corris will return to the more familiar individual medley or his spot in the 200-yard breaststroke. Sophomore record-holder Bill Shrout only swam in one event against Penn, the 50-yard sprint, which he won handily. However, Brooks will use him in the 100-yard freestyle, one of his specialties, and possibly as anchor man in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

The Crimson mermen should start off the evening in fine style with a resounding victory in the 400-yard medley relay. The fastest 100-yard men in the backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly. Eric Klaussmann, Captain Bruce Fowler, and Neville Hayes respectively, will swim the first three legs. Freestyler Steve Coy or Dick Saxe probably will anchor the quartet.

Fowler will also compete in the 200-yard breaststroke and Hayes should preserve his undefeated streak this season in the 200-yard butterfly. Al Lincoln will swim the 200-yard backstroke and Steve Teaford will go in either the individual medley or the breaststroke. Henry Frey, who is normally the Crimson's second man in the individual medley, is out with a badly cut hand, but should be ready to face Cornell.

The only event about which Brooks is unsure is the dive. Pete Alter will definitely leap and twist, but the second spot could be filled by either John Friedman or Corky Vines.