Crimson Wrestlers Go to Pittsburgh to Meet Strongest Squads in East

Harvard wrestlers enter the Eastern Intercollegiates tomorrow at Pittsburgh with open eyes. There are a lot of good teams in the East, teams that show up on the Crimson's schedule for humane reasons, and they'll all be at the University of Pittsburgh this weekend. Lehigh, Navy, Army, Temple -- the list isn't short.

Just the same, this is the Harvard team that turned in its best finish ever in the Ivy League, second behind Cornell. The Crimson preserved a chance to tie for the title right up to the last meet of the season, when Cornell beat Princeton 22-15 to sew up the championship.

Harvard compiled a 7-3 record overall, thanks chiefly to the efforts of wrestlers like Howie Henjyoji, Tack Chace, Ed Franquemont, Paul Padiak, and captain Gilmore. Even if the team doesn't finish any higher than fifth or sixth (which would itself be quite an improvement over past years), the Crimson may have a shot at some individual hon.

Franquemont, Chace and Padiak seem to have the best chances to do well in their classes. Chace, at heavyweight, will get his stiffest competition from Nichols of Navy, Paul Goble of Rutgers, and Dick Moore of Cornell. But Chace has already beaten both Moore and Goble during the regular season.

At 152, Franquemont's rivals include DeWalt of Penn State and Lilly of Temple. Padlak may get a shot at Cornell's Geoff Stevens, who will probably come down to 160 from his regular season weight of 167.

Both Gilmore and Howie Durfee will have the advantage of being down a weight class for the tournament, Gilmore from 137 to 130 and Durfee from 145 to 137.