Spokesmen Say Progress Made In Strike Talks

A second joint negotiating session at the Federal mediator's office yesterday afternoon wound up with spokesmen for both sides in the Boston newspaper strike saying that they thought some progress had been made.

Well-placed sources added that yesterday's negotiations had dealt with the substantial issues of the strike and said that a settlement to the strike could come as early as next week.

William Rose, chief Federal mediator, said after the meeting that a series of subcommittee meetings including mediators and representatives of the publishers and their striking printers and mailers will be held today. He said that it is likely that a formal meeting of all parties involved in the strike will be called Saturday.

The session Thursday was the second in as many days and began with a separate conference between publishers and mediators. Representatives of the 1400 striking printers and mailers joined the talks after a short time.

Some 4500 non-strikers have been idled at the morning Herald, evening Traveler, the morning and evening Globe, and the Record-American.

The two striking unions have demanded a cash pay increase instead of company-paid health, welfare, and pension plan.