Lowell Matmen Capture Interhouse Championship

Lowell House eked out first place by one point in the wrestling finals at the IAB yesterday afternoon. In the overall competition for the Straus Trophy, Eliot picked up important points against their arch-rivals Leverett.

In the most exciting match of the afternoon, Jeff Hall of Eliot defeated Fred Connell of Lowell in the 160-pound division. The score was a tight 3-2. I'hil Hway (145 lb.) of Eliot helped out his house with an easy victory of 10-4 over J. A. Garlow of Lowell.

John Vorhies (191) of Eliot tied with fellow house member Ron Bogdasarian at 6-6. At 130 pounds Lanny Bitely of Lowell defeated Guy Carden, also of Lowell.

In the unlimited class Dave Goins of Lowell planned Joe Gavin of Kirkland. Jon Dunn (137) of Lowell closed out Howell Browne of Kirkland 6-0. John Sinnott (177) of Quincy pinned Dick Hayes of Kirkland, and Ed Stump (167) of Leverett defeated Phil Tonks of Dunster 7-2.

In the freshman meet Bill Diercks (130) of Holworthy pinned Eliot Quill of Grays, and at 137 J. H. Gillette of Matthews shut out Jon Hubbard of Straus 8-0. Bruce Wilcox (145) of Holworthy pinned Peter Keiser of Grays while in the 152 division C.E. Clark of Hollis edged by Bob Beaman of Matthews, 3-2.

The 167 match was a narrow victory of 1-0 for David Cowles of Wiggiesworth over John Cross of Matthews. John Read (177) of Hollis pinned D. Shahian of Hurlbut, while John Hook (160) of Hurlbut defeated Paul Hackbarth of Thayer.

There was a pin in the 190 match, with Dave Higgins of Wigglesworth beating Don Mier of Holworthy. The heavyweight match was won by Charles Poster of Hollis, 4-3 over Lionel Kaplan of Greenough.