Students to Stage City Hall Sit-in For 'International Days of Protest'

Anti-war demonstrators may stage a sit-in Friday at the Selective Service System office in City Hall.

The sit-in, currently being discussed by members of the Harvard Students for a Democratic Society, would be part of a two-day series of demonstrations by Boston-area peace groups.

The list of protest activities includes two street rallies in Boston, a "speak-out" by 20 Harvard faculty members, and a march from Cambridge to Boston.

Similar demonstrations to protest the war in Vietnam are being planned for Friday and Saturday in major cities throughout the world.

A spokesman for SDS said last night that the Cambridge sit-in might take place even if his organization doesn't vote a formal endorsement of it. "There are definitely people who want to do it," he said.

There is already one sit-in scheduled for Friday. The Boston unit of the Committee for Nonviolent Action will cap a march from South Station to the Boston Army Base on Summer St. with a demonstration involving civil disobedience.

SDS is recruiting the faculty members for the two-hour "speak-out," which will be held Friday night.

So far, SDS has listed 19 faculty members who have agreed to deliver brief speeches on why they oppose the war. They include David Riesman '31, Henry Ford II Professor of Social Sciences, and Pitirim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology, emeritus.

Earlier Friday, Harvard students in SDS will distribute anti-war leaf-lets near the Park St. MBTA station and then hold a brief rally. Afterwards they will march to the North End and repeat the program.

A dozen Boston peace groups are sponsoring a march Saturday from the Cambridge Common to the Arlington St. Church in Boston. One thousand people participated in a similar march last October.