Sedlacek Breaks Records, Takes Ivy Scoring Crown

When senior Keith Sedlacek sank a jump shot with two seconds remaining against Dartmouth, he ended a career which completely revamped the Harvard basketball record book and brought Harvard its second scoring champion in the history of the Ivy League.

His 23 points against the Greenies boosted his League total to 329, well ahead of Penn's Stan Pawlak, who ended the Ivy season with 308. Columbia's Dave Newmark had 291 as he finished the year against Cornell.

Only one Crimson player had led the the Ivy Basketball League before -- John Rockwell bagged 139 points in the 1949-50 season. This includes Harvard's 34 years in the the old Eastern Intercollegiate League, which was formed among seven of the Ivy-League colleges (exclusive of Brown).

Sedlacek's late season outburst, raising his total to 533 for the year, made him the first Harvard player in history to score more than 500 points in a single season. That's an average of 22.4 per game and another Harvard record.

In his varsity career, he tallied 1262 points, which broke Bill Dennis' old mark by 188. Sedlacek's career average was 18.3 points per game, well over Dennis' career average of 15.2, which he set from 1951-54.

The 6-1, 160 pound senior, named to the all-Eastern Team of the Week last week, also holds the Harvard record for most points in a single game with 40.