Runners Roll Over Brown, 107, 47; Tennis Team Downs Amherst, 7-2

Lord Jeffs Take Doubles Matches

Amherst topped Harvard's two best doubles teams Saturday, but the Crimson tennis team swept all six singles for a 7-2 victory, its third win of the season.

In the singles, the varsity captured four of the six matches in straight sets, although the sets were often extended by the persistent Jeffs. Crimson Captain Benjamin downed Peter Alcaly in the number one match, 6-0, 3-6, 6-3: senior Clive Kileff dropped the first set to Amherst sophomore Dan Warner, but then dug in for a 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 victory.

Bernie Adeisberg (two), Rich Friedman (four), Dick Appleby (five), and Brian Davis (six) all won in straight sets.

Doubles, usually the strong point for Harvard, proved the saving grace for Amherst's prestige. Appleby and Davis dropped the top doubles match to Paul Diamond and Chris Kaufman by the surprising score of 6-2, 6-3. Benjamin and Davis bowed to Alealy and Warner, 7-5, 12-10.

Third Doubles Win

Harvard did take the third doubles, however, behind Friedman and Todd Wilkinson, 6-3, 6-3.

The Crimson will have to tighten its doubles play considerably in the next couple of weeks before facing Princeton and other teams which may match or better Harvard in singles play.

Harvard's deep freshman team whipped Amherst, 8-1 for its second win of the season. Number one player John Levin was outclassed by Amherst's fine-stroking Dick Steketie, 5-7, 6-1, 9-7, but the Crimson won all the other singles and doubles matches in straight sets.

Steve Devereux, Marty Fleuser, Rocky Jarvis. John Appleby, and Bruce Wiegand complete the starting six for Coach Corey Wynn.

The freshman's depth is exhibited by the fact that Appleby, fourth-ranked nationally in the interscholastics last year, is number five on the team.