Golfers Split With Penn, Lions; Finish a Poor Third in GBC Meet

Harvard Edges Columbia, 4-3

The Harvard Golf team split a double-header Friday, losing to Penn, 5-2, and scraping by Columbia, 4-3.

Columbia was as weak as ever but Penn was a powerhouse. The Quakers trounced Harvard last year, 7-0, and the Crimson did well to avert a repeat disaster.

Harvard's top and bottom men won both their matches. Brian McGuinn, playing number one, whipped his Columbia opponent, 7 holes up and 6 to play, and beat the Quakers' first man, 2 and 1. Bob Sinclair, playing in place of Wayne Thornbrough, fashioned a fine 78 to crush Penn, 5 and 3, and edge Columbia on the 17th, 3 and 1.

But in between first and seventh positions, the Crimson had trouble. Captain Mike Millis played poorly and bowed 3 and 2 to Penn and 2 and 1 to Columbia. Steve Bergman, number four, also lost both his matches.

Bob Kidder, whose putter has been ice-cold all year, was crushed by his Penn opponent, 7 and 6, and dumped by his Lion adversary on the last hole for his eight straight loss.

Winning Margin

John Hawkins, playing third, turned in a respectable score of 78 but had to hang on for dear life to come up with a split. His Penn opponent was even par on the last 12 holes after a bad start and edged out Hawkins, 3 and 1. His Lion opponent finished one over on the last 14, but this time Hawkins prevailed, 1 up.

Jim Torhorst, who was moved up to sixth position Friday, lost to Penn but beat Columbia. His match and Hawkins's against the Lions were decided on the last hole and proved to be the winning margin.

Harvard's match record remains even at 4-4. It was 6-2 at this time last year.

Coach Cooney Welland expressed disappointment at the Crimson's poor showing so far this year. "We've already passed the half-way mark and things look pretty bad. The bottom of the lineup is just going to have to shape up or we're going to have a lot of trouble in our Ivy League matches," he said.