Golfers Top Brandeis, Holy Cross; Bring Record to 6 Wins, 4 Losses

The golf team emerged from hibernation yesterday to clout Brandeis, 7-0, and Holy Cross, 4-3, and to boost its record to 6-4. Before yesterday Harvard had lost three of its last four matches.

The match with the Crusaders was more one-sided than the score suggests. The Crimson had built up a 4-1 lead with two players, Mike Millis and Wayne Thornbrough still on the course -- both of them ahead. With the contest wrapped up, they just glided home and their losses were inconsequential.

Brandeis didn't bother to show up last year, and they might as well have stayed home yesterday too. No Brandeis player lasted past the 14th hole.

Four Harvard golfers -- the two top end two bottom men -- swept both their matches. All seven Crimson players broke 80 on a windy day at the Myopia Hunt Club's tricky course.

Number one man Brian McGuinn extended his won-lost record to 7-3 by smearing Brandeis, 7 up with 6 holes to 30, and crushing Holy Cross, 7 and 5, McGuinn was only two over par when he closed out his Crusnder opponent on the 13th hole.

John Hawkins fired a 79 to whip Brandeis, 6 and 4, and Holy Cross, 5 and 3. Hawkins now totes a 6-3 mark, third best on the team.

Bob Kidder, at number six, finally pulled out of his long, long slump by smashing Brandels, 6 and 5, and Holy Cross, 4 and 2 while shooting a fine 73, And Bob Sinclair filling in for Steve Bergman in seventh position shellacked both his opponents by 6 and 5 scores.

The three men in the middle of the lineup all carded 79's to split their two matches. Bill Coleman, a senior making his debut at fifth position, knocked off his Brandeis foe but bowed to Holy Cross.