Trackmen Compete in Penn Relays Today

Twelve Harvard trackmen will compete today at the Penn Relays to begin what should be a busy weekend for Bill McCurdy's team.

After competing at Philadelphia against the strongest teams in the East today, the Crimson trackmen will fly to Hanover to join their teammates in Saturday's meet against Dartmouth. There is a strong possibility, however, that Tony Lynch, Chris Pardee, and Walt Hewlett may be allowed to remain in Philadelphia Saturday to participate in their specialities.

Since Harvard will not compete in the NCAA Championships this springs. McCurdy wants to give his stars every opportunity to compete in top championships so that they may have the chance to made the United States team for the Russian meet this summer.

In today's events at Penn, Lynch and sophomore Frank Haggerty will run in the 440-yard intermediate hurdles. Lynch, on the basis of his 51.3 time at Princeton last week, will be the favorite although you never know what the likes of Morgan State, Villanova, or Maryand can produce.

If he runs at Penn Saturday in the light hurdles, Lynch will have to better his 14.3 time at Princeton in order to place. Boston University's Dave Hemery, Lynch's exceptional rival in both hurdles, will not run because of a tender leg.

Ron Wilson, Harvard's sophomore weightman who has been constantly improving all spring, will throw the hammer and the discuss today.

Harvard will have two teams in the relays today. In Heptagonal division of the one-mile relay. Harvard's Dave McCeviy, Sam Robinson, Jeff Huvelle, and Trey Burns (or Lynch) will have to he in top form to better Yale's fast foursome.

In the medley relay, dashman Wayne Andersen will run the 220. Huvelle the 440, Jim Smith the 880, and Jim Baker the mile.

Chris Pardee, who double in the broad jump, will face Maryland's outstanding Frank Costello--if he remains Saturday--in what should be one of the bighest quality events in the two-day Relays.