Cornell Dumps Golfers; Bergman Is Sole Victor

Ithaca this weekend was one of these long nightmares that, unfortunately, don't turn out to be dreams, even for Harvard's sleeping golf team.

In a windy, rainy dual match Friday, Cornell whipped the Crimson, 6-1. Then Saturday, in even worse conditions, Harvard staggered to a truth-place anish in the 16-team Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Tournament.

Aga'nst Cornell, steady Steve Bergman rode home to a 4 and 2 victory in the number four match for Harvard's sole win.

Everyone else lost and -- with one exception -- lost badly, Bob Sinclair, and alternate filling in for Jim Torhorst in seventh place, hung on until the last hole before falling, 1 down.

Bill Coleman, who pulled the Crimson's biggest upset of the year against Brown last week, started off as though he might repeat his performance. Coleman was 2 up after 10, but he dropped five of the next six holes, and it was all over, 3 and 2.

Bob Kidder, sick with mononucleosis, was forced to play because usual number one man Brian McGuinn and Terhorst couldn't made the trip. Kidder held on for a while but in the end got trounced, 5 and 4.

No Crimson golfer broke 80 on the long, tough course designed by Robert Trent Jones. Soggy fairways, combining with the raw weather, sent scores soaring both days.

In Saturday's tournament the scores really zoomed The Easterns are scored by stroke play rather than by hole-by, hole match play. Each team enters seven golfers who play 36 holes. The low five scores are added up, and the team with the lowest combined total wins.

Penn State, a perenial powerhouse, ran away with the tournament with a team sum of 803, an average of a little over 80 per 18-hole round. Yale, a team Harvard will battle Saturday, finished second, seven strokes back.

Cornell and Army tied for third with 811 totals. The Crimson slopped to a nasty 845 for their dismal 13th place finish.

Mike Millis, the Harvard captain, was the Crimson's low man with an 80, 84--164. Sinclair shot a 166. Coleman had a 167 that included Harvard's only sub-80 round of the weekend, a 70. Bergman finished fourth with 170. And Wayne Thornbrough carded twin 89's for a miserable 178, which was all the more amazing because Kidder and John Hawkins actually shot worse.

Millis nearly made the 161-cut-off point that would have qualified him for Sunday and Monday's individual championship play, a 16-man climination meet. The scrappy Millis was four over on the last three holes to miss the cut. A one over par finish would have put him in the running.