Harvard Meets Top Golfers in East At Ithaca Tourney This Weekend

The golf team begins a long Ithaca weekend today, and prospects look very chilly up north.

Harvard meets Cornell head-to-head this afternoon and plays 50 other teams tomorrow in the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Tournament on the same course.

Coach Cooney Weiland will have to spruce up his lineup again for the contest with the Big Red. Bill Coleman, the Crimson's surprising late arrival, will probably play number one for the second match in a row, while regular top man Brian McGuinn recuperates from an operation. McGuinn, will be out until the Yale match.

Jim Torhorst will also forego the Cornell trip because of exams. Bob Kidder will move up from seventh to sixth, and alternate Bob Sinclair will take the bottom position in the lineup.

Harvard whipped Cornell last year, but in a season like this one, it makes little difference. The Crimson stands 6-5 now, last year at this time its record was 9-2. In the Easterns, Harvard will enter seven men who will each play 36-holes. The low five of the seven scores are totaled, and the squad with the lowest sum wins.

Harvard has only a whisper of a chance against such powerhouses as Penn, Yale, Navy, and Penn State.

In addition to the team contest, the 16 top individual scorers Saturday will meet in an elimination match Sunday and Monday. Jim Buchanan of Harvard tied for the individual medal last year.