Even With Great Scott in The Lineup, American League Stars Will Crumble

By Joel R. Kramer

Even the white-hot Boston Red Box wouldn't be able to beat the National League All-Star team in St. Louis today. But the Box would wage a better battle than the American League Stars will.

The Bosox have won nine out of their last ten, but their only contribution to the American League starting team is the one player who has helped the least in their recent surge -- slumping (but still Great) George Scott.

Sandy Koufax will start for the Senior Circuit. If you are an American League fan, about the best thing you can say of Sandy is that he has been beaten four times this year. And once a couple of years ago, even the Mots scored a few runs off him.

Juan Marichal, fresh off a three-hitter will probably work the middle three. Marichal has been resting since Friday, while Koufax worked Saturday.

Denny McLain will start for the American League, and all he will be asked to do is mow down the likes of McCovey, Mays, Aaron, Clements, Santo, and Torre. McLain worked Saturday, but he'll work harder today.

These July classics are beginning to get embarrassing for American League fans. The Nationals have won eight of the last nine Star games, and they have won the last three World Series. It looks like more of the same today.

The airline strike has caused players to straggle in on strange, makeshift schedules. Special planes are ready if unexpected emergencies develop. Somehow, all the players will get to St. Louis.

You can watch the American League suffer on NBC-TV starting at 2 p.m.