Real Harv. Studs Will Be Wearing Tell-Tail Buttons

By Joel R. Kramer

How can a summer school girl know who is a Harvard man and who isn't, so she can bat her eyelashes at the right guys? One enterprising Harvard man has found the answer--a button that tells you he is.

Stephen D. Nightingale '66 is either selling or giving away these medals of honor, depending on how well he knows you. It is a white disk, reading "I go here in the winter" (in crimson letters, of course.)

It's the ultimate in snob appeal," said Daniel R. Bronson '67, a friend of Nightingale's and a proud toter of the button, "or it is a desperate attempt to seek one's own level."

Nightingale had 250 buttons made at a cost of ten cents apiece, but he has given so many away, that the best he can hope for is to break even on them. He claims that the buttons are neither for profit nor snob appeal. "It's just a joke."

In theory, no one can get a button unless he can prove that he indeed does go here in the winter. "We're checking." Nightingale said, "but we're not too worried about it." In practice, It's yours if the price is right.

On the Beach

Nightingale conceived of his lark while sitting on a local beach with a Cliffie, "who does go here during the winter". They both thought it would be nice to let people know who's who, so the button was born.

It started out as a semi-private affair, but if demand mushrooms. Nightingale needs. "The CRIMSON often magnifies interest in these things," he chuckled.

Reaction in the Square was mixed. Fran Greenberg '70 said "My reaction is mixed."