Harvard and B.C. Clash On Watson Ice Tonight

Game time: 8 p.m.

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The Eagles of Boston College skate into Watson Rink tonight in the big game of the month for Harvard's surging hockey team. The boys from B.C., will have their chance to rise in the Eastern rankings and a 7-4 upset loss to the Crimson last year in their minds. Anyone who has heard the "Beat B.C." cheers at the last two home games here or who has seen the ribbons around school today knows that there is incentive working on the other direction too.

B.C. was not figured among the top powers before the season began, and its 2-4 and 3-8 losses to B.U. and a split with Northeastern have justified this estimate. But Northeastern, which fell to the Eagles, 6-0 before winning 4-2, gave Harvard an overtime battle in their meeting over Christmas; and B.U. is now the only remaining undefeated team in the East.

On the other hand, the icemen of John "Snooks" Kelly have topped Brown, 6-3, and Princeton, 8-4, victories just as convincing as the Crimson's 3-1 and 6-2 margins over the Ivy schools. Early in the season, B.C. creamed Yale, 12-3, but the Elis were having goalie problems then and came nowhere near the level of play they reached against Cornell and St. Lawrence last week.

The Eagles can also boast an 8-2 win over the Eastern Olympics, a team that has beaten both B.U. and Harvard. And Friday night, in their last outing, they upset Clarkson, 6-5.

Paul, "The Shot"

With players like Jerry York, Whitey Allen, Bob Kupka, Woody Johnson, and Paul "The Shot" Hurley, there's no question that B.C. will give the Crimson a real battle. Sophomore George McPhee, who has been seeing most of the action recently, will probably start in the nets, although Jeff Cohen, who played against Harvard last year, is also available.

Crimson Lineup Unchanged

Nothing will change in the Harvard lineup, as Coach Cooney Weiland is keeping a winning combination. The most notable status in the quo is goalie Bill Fitzsimmons. A two-time Ivy All-Ivy honorable mention, the senior netminder warmed the bench from the year's second game until last week, with sophomore Bill Diercks getting the starting assignments.

Then when Weiland gave Fitz another look-see in the R.P.I. game, he held the Engineers to two goals and followed that up with one of his most competent performances ever in the 6-2 win over Princeton. "I'm going to string along with him as long as he's hot," says Weiland, hoping the Veteran won't show any signs of cooling off tonight.

The new first line, consisting of Barry Johnson, Kent Parrot, and Pete Mueller, which got five goals against Princeton, will be together again.

Seniors Dennis McCullough and Pete Waldinger will also see action, working in with Parrot and killing penalties. The other two lines remain intact.

Sophomore Tom Micheletti, who is making up his deficit in experience and conditioning, will team with Don Grimble on defense again, behind Bob Carr and Charlie Scammon.

Tickets may be picked up at 60 Boylston St. in exchange for coupon No. 13.