Basketball Team Falls Short Against Green

Dartmouth Scores, 67-63; Last 12 Points All Fouls

HANOVER. N.H., Jan. 17--Dartmouth defeated the Harvard basketball team tonight, 67-63, by sinking 12 foul shots in the last minute and 44 seconds of play.

The Indians employed hold-on-to-the-ball tactics in the second half, often waiting two minutes or more to take a shot. The score had been knotted at intermission, 36 all but once the home team built up a small second-half margin, Harvard was forced to get possession.

Harvard actually pulled ahead once in the final three minutes, 52-51, but Dartmouth quickly recovered a 55-54 edge. There was only 1:44 left, and the Crimson knew that Dartmouth could hold the ball longer than that. So they fouled, and they fouled again, and again. There was nothing else they could do, but the Green ruined the strategy by sinking 12 out of 14 shots -- almost half of them bonus shots in one-and-one situations.

At one point in the first half, Dartmouth had opened up a seven-point lead. With ten minutes left, Coach Floyd Wilson re-inserted slumping captain Gene Dressler into the lineup, and Dressler sparked the Crimson's climb back to respectability. Dressler ended the evening with nine points, Barth Royer had 18 and Bob Kanuth 15 for the losers.

Harvard managed a halftime tie on a strange play. Dartmouth's Gunnar Malm went up for a shot, but was stuffed by the Crimson's Paul Waickowski. This upset Malm immensely, and he chose to say something improper about the noncall to the referee. Dartmouth was charged with a technical foul, and Royer sunk the tying point.

The victorious Indians, now 1-4 in the Ivy League, were led by Joe Colgan (24 points), Malm (15 points), and Rick Felmeister (14 points).

It was Harvard's fifth straight loss in their winless League season. They now have a couple of weeks off for exams, and return to action Friday, February 3 at Penn and the next night at Princeton. If nothing else, the team will enter the second semester armed with facts of Ivy League life. HARVARD SCORING   FG  F  T Royer  6  6  18 Kanuth  6  3  15 Martell  4  1  9 Dressler  3  3  9 Grate  2  4  8 Johnson  1  0  2 Waickowski  1  0  2 Total  23  17  63