Varsity Wobbles in BAA, But Freshmen Take Mile

One of the few bright spots in the track team's showing at the Boston Athletic Association games Saturday was the freshmen's runaway victory in the mile relay.

Except for Dave McKelvey's third-place finish in the New England 440-yard run, the varsity had no wins and no over-all placings.

Harvard's performance in the two-mile relay, however, was encouraging. The team finished third in its heat behind NYU and Maryland in 7:42:3. It was the third-fastest time in Crimson history, and only one first-string man was running.

McKelvey had tough competition in his race. The winning time in the New England 440 (:49.1) also won the open 440. McKelvey, at :49.9) finished behind Walter Fitzpatrick of Central Connecticut and John Anderson of the University of Massachusetts.

Grinning junior Bob Cook looked good in a :50.1 quarter in the mile relay, but the team was only fourth in its heat. Yale came home in 3:22.6, and Temple and Brown also bested Harvard's 3:25.2.

If Captain Wayne Andersen's finish had been combined with sophomore Bill Jewett's start, Harvard might have taken the dash. But Andersen started slowly, and Jewett faded at the end. Both men placed third in their heats.

Sophomore Tom Callahan was fifth in a fast collegiate 880-yard run. Yale sophomore Steve Bittner hit the tape in 1:53.6, a tenth of a second off the meet record. Callahan finished in 1:57.9.

The freshman team was a sensation in its 3:23.3 mile-relay win. Its time bettered the varsity's and just about every other freshman team this year except Villanova's. Keith Colburn anchored with a fantastic :49.8 quarter.