Skiers Win at Franconia; Sise, Carter Score Firsts

The Harvard ski team trampled Yale M.I.T. in a cross country-slalom meet Thursday and Friday on Cannon Mountain in Franconia, N.H.

Led by Nordic captain Jim Sise, the Crimson swept the first seven places in cross-country competition. A freshman, Steve Hinkle, raced to an astounding second, while Marty Zeller and Alex Emerson took third and fourth.

Sophomore Peter Carter, freshman hockey goalie last year, won the 2-run slalom event. A Yalie snuck in second, but Alpine captain Peter Gagarin and Willie Draper sailed to a victory-clinching third place tie.

Four Class A skiers, Gagarin, Carter, Steve Blodget and Greg Peters are the backbone of the Alpine team. Never in recent history has Harvard boasted more than one man with Class A status, recognition reserved for the 80 best skiers in the East.

The Alpine and Nordic men do not compete as a team again until the St. Lawrence University Carnival at intersession. During January several minor meets attract men on an individual basis.

After the St. Lawrence Carnival, Coach Charles Gibson's team will compete at Dartmouth, Williams and Middlebury before venturing into the Eastern Intercollegiate Championships.

If the Crimson can move up one notch from last year's sixth in the Easterns, it will get a shot at the National Championship in March.