Booters to Face Columbia In Initial League Contest

Game Time: 10:30 a.m. at Cumnock Field

Every year the Harvard soccer team goes into its first Ivy League game as an unknown quantity. And this morning's league opener against Columbia at Cumnock Field behind the business school will be no different.

It's always the same. Coach Bruce Munro's Crimson booters keep steadily improving in their early games, at the end running up impressive scores, such as this year's 18-2 showing in their last three outings.

But still Munro and his players are not sure how his team will fare in league play after mauling the likes of Boston University. M.I.T., and other soccer non-entities.

There is no doubt that the eleven players who start this morning for the Crimson will be anxious to show that they belong in the Ivy elite. Goalie Dick Locksley wants to show that he is ready and able to mind the nets against any opposition. Halfback Richie Hardy and fullback Bob Gray are also eager to show their stuff. But all three are sophomores and the hopes of the Crimson today are that they don't play like sophomores.

Where Harvard has sophomores. Columbia has seniors. Rick Andrews, called the best center half in Lion history by people who should know, plays in Hardy's spot, while Gerry Fitzsimmons matches Gray and John Davis minds the nets.

Lion Offense

The Lion offense centers around captain Abe Lesnick, who scored three goals in leading his team past Wagner. 6-0, and center-forward Demetrios Lappas. But outside of the Wagner debacle, that offense has been slightly less than potent. managing only a goal apiece in tying Colgate and bowing to Princeton. 2-1.

In fact the Lions overall don't appear as strong as they did last season. When an underdog Crimson eleven upset them 3-1, in New York.