33 from Harvard Faculty Declare Support Draft Law Protest Today

Thirty-three Harvard faculty members and teaching fellows pledged their "total support" to any students who commit civil disobedience by handing in their draft cards during today's "Service of Acceptance" at Arlington Street Church.

The special draft resistance service is part of a day of national anti-draft activities organized by the "Resistance," a student draft protest group.

The pledge appeared as part of an advertisement signed by hundreds of New England college faculty members in yesterday's Boston Sunday Globe.

About 3,000 students and faculty members, including many seminarians, will gather on the Boston Common at 11 a.m., according to Michael K. Ferber, a second-year graduate student in English and spokesman for "The Resistance" at Harvard.

The 1:30 p.m. service will include Buddhist prayers, readings from Ghandi and Martin Luther King, and the handing in of an anticipated large number of draft cards, according to Ferber. Dr. William Sloan Coflin, chaplain to Yale University and a leader in the anti-draft movement, will deliver the main address of the service.

The draft cards to be collected today in Boston and in nearly 40 other cities, will be delivered to the Justice Department in Washington, D.C. on Friday afternoon by a contingent of clergymen, educators, and writers. By publicly helping violators of the selective service laws, the group--including Hilary Putnam professor of Philosophy, Norman Mailer '43, Robert Lowell '37, Ashley Montagu, and Dr. Coffin--will be subject to arrest for "aiding and abetting."

The group has written to Attorney General Ramsey Clark and hopes to present him with the collection of draft cards.