Lowenstein Says Democrat Will Face LBJ in Primary

Allard K. Lowenstein, the liberal New York lawyer and educator who is spearheading the "Dump Johnson" movement, declared last night that his group would have a candidate to run against President Johnson by "early next year."

He promised 200 college Democrats from Greater Boston at a meeting sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Young Democrats that there would be a candidate "who really wants to be President, not just a protest candidate" for the Massachusetts Presidential Primary in Aprill.

Lowenstein named Senator Eugene J. McCarthy (D.-Minn.), Senator George S. McGovern (D.-S.D.), and "the various Senators Kennedy" as prime candidates. Lowenstein is an advisor to Senator Robert F. Kennedy '48 (D.-N.Y.).

He called upon the half-filled Burr Lecture Hall meeting to form an anti-Johnson Democratic group to lead the campaign in Massachusetts to defeat the President in the April primary. A group was organized after Lowenstein finished speaking.

At a press conference in New York this afternoon Lowenstein and Robert Vaughn of "Man from UNCLE" are expected to be named as co-chairman of a national organization of "dissenting Democrats."

Gavin Might Win

In answer to a question on the possibility of General James M. Gavin as a Democratic alternative to President Johnson, Lowenstein predicted that Gavin--who refused the New York liberal's advice to run as a Democrat last summer--"could have won the nomination and stood a good chance of being elected President. Instead, General Gavin will probably seek the Republican nomination and might be elected."

Accompanying Lowenstein was Gerald Hill, chairman of the liberal California Democratic Council, who assured the student Democrats that his organization's anti-Johnson slate would triumph in the 1968 Presidential Primary.