Parietal Committee Says 250 Back Coed 'Study-in'

Members of an ad hoc student committee working to increase parietal hours claimed last night to have about 250 signatures of students agreeing to take part in a coed "study-in."

James M. Hollomon '69, a spokesman for the Student Committee on Parietals, said last night that in addition to the petition, his organization has been arranging informal talks with Masters, tutors and students, on the general parietal issue.

The student committee had a private meeting last night at which, Hollomon said afterward, progress reports on both the petition and talks were heard. At the meeting, committee members drafted a letter intended for each member of the College's Committee on Houses which disavows Newsweek magazine's "superficial and irresponsible representation of our last Lowell House meeting." The letter refers to the Oct. 23 issue of the magazine.

"Our goal of 500 signatures will not be difficult to obtain and preliminary reports on the informal talks seemed very hopeful," Hollomon said. He added that "every student in the college will be contacted."

Study-in

There will be an open meeting of the group, including all those students who have signed the petition, on Nov. 2. According to Hollomon, the group will then evaluate how much communication has taken place between the Administration and students on the parietal issue. If they decide that the relative positions of the Administration and the students have not changed markedly, then the study-in petition probably will be ratified and a date for the study-in set, said Hollomon.

The study-in would take place during the additional parietals prescribed by HUC.

The group hopes however that the informal discussion groups in each House, and the more formal work of the HUC with the Committee on Houses will help build understanding and communication between the Administration and students.

The HUC has not yet taken a stand for or against the petition.