300 Stage Sit-In at Mallinckrodt Hall To Halt Dow Chemical Recruitment

Glimp Warns 'Severance' Is Possible For Leaders

About 300 Harvard and Radcliffe anti-war demonstrators sat-in yesterday in Mallinckrodt Laboratory, imprisoning a job recruiter from the Dow Chemical Corporation in a conference room for seven hours and halting his interviews.

Shortly after the demonstration ended at 7p.m. Dean Glimp said that the sit-in was a serious violation of University regulations and could result in severance of connection for some of the students involved.

The students were protesting Dow's role in the war in Vietnam. Dow is the principal supplier of napalm for the United States military.

Between 350 and 400 students--by Glimp's count--voluntarily turned in their bursar's cards to the University officials. The demonstrators surrendered the cards because they wanted to take the responsibility and suffer the punishment for the sit-in collectively. It is understood, however, that some bursar's cards belonged to students who did not sit-in but merely wanted to give tangible support to the demonstration.

[Immediately after the sit-in, the demonstrators met for two hours and formulated a number of demands which the Administration must meet by next Monday, they say, if it wishes to avoid further protests.]


Glimp said that turning in a bursar's card in support of the protest and actually obstructing freedom of movement "are as different as night from day in my mind." He indicated as obstructing the door would not be dealt with severely even if they had surrendered their bursar's card.

He said officials had "carefully identified students right in front of the door, those directly involved in obstructing movement of the Dow representative." There is a "distinct possibility," he said, that those people will be severed.

(Severance of connection usually involves a one-year leave of absence from the College, during which the student is required to hold a job for at least six months. If the student gets favorable letters from his employer, he is almost always readmitted by the Board, Glimp said.)

Administration To Meet

The Administrative Board will meet later this week, he said, to consider each demonstrator's case individually. "Any one whose card we have may submit a written statement to the Board explaining his part in the demonstration," he added.

Glimp said it is "very likely" President Pusey, on advice from Dean Ford, will call a special meeting of the Faculty next Tuesday or Wednesday to hear the disciplinary recommendations of the Administrative Board. Although the Administrative Board has authority in disciplinary matters, Glimp said, "We want the Faculty to have a look at this." Both Pusey and Ford were out of town today.

Leavitt Freed

The protestors voted at about 6 p.m. o free the Dow representative, Frederick Leavitt, and he was promptly ushered through the crowd and out of the building by a dean, a senior tutor, and an assistant senior tutor. The vote came shortly after Dean Glimp--speaking from the midst of the seated, close-packed crowd--promised that the Faculty of Arts and Sciences would "discuss the issue you have raised here."

The issue, he said, was whether the University should discriminate in deciding which groups--civilians or military--are allowed to recruit Harvard students. The demonstrators argued that any corporation guilty of war crimes and partner to genocide--in this case, Dow--had no right to come on the Harvard campus.

The sit-in began at 9:30 a.m. in front of Conant 223 where Leavitt was holding individual interviews with chemistry graduate students interested in a career with the corporation.

Recommended Articles