Meeting Following Sit-In Declares Plan of Action

By James R. Beniger

A group of about 300 demonstrators met in Mallinckrodt Hall last night and agreed to four demands which it says the Harvard Administration must meet by next Monday to avert further student protest. Dean Glimp said the Faculty will meet "next Tuesday or Wednesday" to consider the group's demands.

The group--which chose to call itself simply "The Organization"--endorsed resolutions demanding that the Harvard Administration keep the Dow Chemical Company, the Central Intelligence Agency, or the U.S. Military from recruiting on the University campus, and that bursar's cards be returned without disciplinary action.

Speaking from the floor of the Mallinckrodt front lobby, Michael S. Ansara '68, former co-chairman of Students for a Democratic Society and a leader of yesterday's sit-in, proposed that the Administration be given until Monday to meet the demands of the group. "If the Administration has not complied with our demands by then," Ansara said, "we're going to bring this University as they know it to an end."

Meeting Monday

The group later voted to meet again next Monday evening if its demands have not been met by that time. They also decided to continue collecting bursar's cards and agreed to meet tonight in Mallinckrodt to discuss possible tactics to get the Administration to comply with its demands.

Thirty Harvard teaching fellows presented the group with a petition supporting the "aims and actions" of the sit-in. "It is a violation of the principles of the University to lend its facilities to any industries or organizations committing war crimes in Vietnam," the petition read. "For us not to be here would violate our own responsibilities as teachers." All 30 of the teaching fellows also turned in their bursar's cards.

In an impassioned speech to the students seated cross-legged on the Mallinckrodt lobby floor, the Reverend Richard E. Mumma of the United Ministry at Harvard answered a critic who challenged the gathering to move to another country that had none of the faults of the United States.

Resist

"I don't like this country the way it is now," Mumma said, "but I'm going to stick with it. There's only one thing to do--resist. We've got to stop this war, we've got to change this country's foreign policy, we've got to change the way universities work."

The meeting adjourned with the singing of "Solidarity Forever."